Wednesday, August 8, 2018

City Gardening

I'm all about organic.... especially when it doesn't take any extra effort.  I usually cut up my produce scraps and eggshells into small pieces and dump them into the garden. They dry out and enrich the soil. Over the years, it has made a huge difference to the soil and the vegetable output.

Early in the spring, I took a store bought cantaloupe outside and scooped the "guts" into the garden. As the days grew longer and the sun hit the soil, I noticed some squash-like plants poking up from the dirt. I pulled out the weeds and let them grow. The vines have taken over my patio.  Not squash, but melons! This picture was taken about a week ago. Since the torrential rain we recently had, these tiny babies are now about baseball size.  Yesterday, I found # 3 and # 4, actually bigger than these two, hiding under the vines. I'm hoping the season is long enough to sample what is inside.

2 comments:

  1. I can tell you that these will be the BEST you have ever had. All the GOOD stuff you added to the soil Is the secret. WITHOUT those extra nutrients they would be VERY bland. GOOD job girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quick update. There are now 4, regular sized cantaloupes, and several smaller beginnings of more hiding in the vines that have taken over the patio and back entrance to the house. The large ones have the "netting" that is beginning to firm up the rind. I'm leaving them on the vine as long as the chipmunks leave them alone. Will let you know the final outcome of how they taste. Has been a very fun summer distraction and experiment.

    ReplyDelete