Sunday, November 26, 2017

Majority Of Americans Would Skip Holiday Gift-Giving, Survey Says

Majority Of Americans Would Skip Holiday Gift-Giving, Survey Says:
Which isn't to say that people just want to spend less. The survey found 25 percent said they would use that money on activities. (click the link for the video)

I saw this on CBS Sunday morning. I was surprised at the numbers. I thought it was just me. I just saw a couple of commercials that said, "The perfect gift brings people together." "Let her know you love her, with a gift from Kay."  Egad.

Gifts put so much pressure on people to "get it right."  While it is fun to give a surprise gift to someone that you know they will enjoy, it can be worrisome when you are pressured to come up with something, and the light bulb doesn't go off... We've all scoured the stores at some point, and felt that stress to come up with anything before the deadline.

For our family get-together, we have a dollar limit, and then we do a round robin. You give one real gift, and one gag gift to the pile. Wrap them in white paper, take turns, and let the laughs happen. We usually swap it out so that everyone takes home something they can use.

3 comments:

  1. I dislike gift giving. I really don't want to expound on It, I just don't care for the whole idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KK, BTW, I love the ( White Elephant type ) idea you use. Of course you are Danish, and as Matriarch of what must be a Lovely family, you alway's make good decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When buying for children, gifts can be fun. Last year, we bought a little girl a basketball and a hoop. She slept with the ball for a week. It was purple. Lol. I love giving gifts. I listen and try to get things people talk about.

    Years ago, my husband bought me a bike. I cried because I had never had a new bike. He listened to me.

    ReplyDelete