Wednesday, June 1, 2016

My journey with the cochlear implant

I had terrific news today.  After six months, my hearing has improved ten percent beyond where people progress after a full year!  I went from 60% hearing to 82%.  Doctor kept saying "awesome," "amazing."

Science is moving quickly now that implants have been approved for coverage by Medicare and Insurance.  Funds for research were not available in the past, but now that they are, things will move forward at an astounding rate.

To say I'm happy is an understatement.

7 comments:

  1. I am sooooo thrilled for you! 82% is amazing! Has the ringing (tinnitus) lessened, as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's great! So glad you are getting help, it's pretty amazing what they can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great news and we are so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The implant has definitely helped the tinnitus. At night, when I take the sound processor off, it definitely returns.

    Today, I'm calling my local audiologist to talk about replacing my hearing aid with a ReSounds brand. ReSounds can work with my cochlear remote.


    I have also started counseling people who are considering an implant. I answer questions about the procedure and tell them what to expect pain-wise, recovery time, etc. Purely a volunteer position.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad for you Beejay. I know what it's like to not hear very well and it's not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of us can't hear for shit. I will say something, and she will reply 'WHAT" to which I reply "WHAT" forget It. 43 years will do that to you. I hope you are really happy with you're new abilities.

    ReplyDelete