Monday, August 22, 2016

Miss Representation


This is the female version of the documentary that sparked the video I posted earlier. This isn't the same video that I saw earlier, but I think it is the same documentary.

The trailer I saw focused more on how women are taught to behave, taught to communicate. It spoke about women's actions in the workforce, how women are generally underpaid because they accept less and are afraid or reluctant to ask for raises. It mentioned that women will often sit back in a meeting and offer subtle questions and actions, whereas men will state a course of action without worrying about being diminished.

2 comments:

  1. I watched enough after a couple of minutes. I'm sorry to tell the young woman that claims It's NOT they're fault, that YES It Is, If you submit to the media's wishes. You claim to know better, but the MONEY makes you what you are. NO, not all women can be classified as such, but I see It EVERY day on TV, so, If you object, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, and show the media you will NO LONGER be a pawn for they're goal of selling SEX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when this is programmed into your brain as a young child, you begin to think it is the "way" it is, much like you reacted to the reference to your size. I'm not saying that we still don't have a choice, as we do. Not all young ladies grow up to dress or act trashy.

    I didn't like this trailer as much because it focused only on the media promoting sex. The other trailer spoke more about how women tend to behave in a more passive way, in contrast to the assertiveness and self reliance of men (in general.) I still think it is interesting how we are shaped by what surrounds us, and how much of an impact it has on behavior and self worth.

    ReplyDelete